Weddings & Unions
About Rev. Isley
About Rev. Isley

Blessings & Other Services

Contact Me

Getting a Marriage License in Greensboro & Guilford County

Here is how you get a Marriage License for your wedding in Greensboro and Guilford County, North Carolina.

A marriage license may be obtained from any county in North Carolina that is convenient to you. The ceremony can then be held anywhere in North Carolina. The only requirement is that the license must be returned to the county where the license was issued.

Where to Apply
Register of Deeds
Guilford County Courthouse
201 South Eugene Street, Room LG-22
Greensboro, NC 27402
(336) 641-7556


Register of Deeds
Guilford County Courthouse
505 East Green Drive, Room 132
High Point, NC 27260
(336) 845-6935

(Click here for Winston-Salem and Forsyth County Register of Deeds info)

How to Apply
Both parties should appear at the Register of Deeds, if possible (NCGS 51.8.2). If an applicant for a marriage license is over 18 years of age and is unable to appear in person, the other party to the planned marriage must appear in person on behalf of the applicant and submit a sworn and notarized affidavit in lieu of the absent applicant's personal appearance. Forms are available online or in our office. Click here to download forms. No blood test or physical is required.

When to Apply
Office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, except legal holidays; however, applications will not be accepted after 4:30 pm to allow for processing. There is no waiting period in North Carolina. The license is good immediately and up to sixty (60) days from date of issue.

Cost of License
The license is $60.
An optional certificate of marriage keepsake is available for $1.00, only at the time the marriage license is issued.

What to do with the License
You are responsible for delivering the license to the person who solemnizes your marriage. The officiant must complete the bottom portion of both copies then return both copies to the Register of Deeds office. An envelope is provided to return the license. The license must be returned within ten (10) days after the ceremony (NCGS 51.7). One copy is retained in the Register of Deeds office, and the other copy is sent to the NC Vital Records Division in Raleigh. The license may be used in any county in North Carolina. The license must be returned to the County in which it was issued.

Social Security Number
Per North Carolina law, all applicants must provide their Social Security number. If ineligible for a Social Security Number, an affidavit must be completed. Download the affidavit form.

Proof-of-Age identification
Identification and proof-of-age is required of ALL persons. The following documents will be accepted:

Age 18 to 21: Certified copy of birth certificate and picture identification with name.

Age 21 and over: Picture identification with name and date of birth.

Under 18 years of age: Contact the office for Special License requirements and information regarding consenting parents.

Blood relatives, no closer kin than first cousins, can marry under the laws of the State of North Carolina. State law forbids the marriage of double first cousins. Applicants, male and female, must be at least 18-years-old to marry without parental consent. ALL applications under 18 should contact this office for additional information.

Previously married individuals must know the month and year their last marriage ended. If you are divorced or marriage is annulled on the same day you apply for a marriage license, you must produce a certified copy of the divorce or annulment decree.

Checklist for Obtaining a Marriage License
1. Social security number
2. Proper identification (example: driver's license, state identification, passport)
3. * Certified copy of birth certificate.
4. If under 18, contact this office
5. Cost: $60 -- check or cash
6. Keepsake certificate -- $1.00, optional
* A certified birth certificate in English or a notarized translation must be provided. Please bring both the native and notarized translated copy.

Proof of your marriage is available upon request in person or by mail once the officiant returns your license. The officiant is required by law to return both copies of the license to the Register of Deeds within ten days after the ceremony (NCGS 51.7).

Download a copy of the Marriage License Application Form in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. This form should be printed off and completed prior to coming to the Register of Deeds Office to apply for the marriage license. A Spanish translation of the instructions is also available for download.


Rev. Wes Isley, Interfaith Minister
Email: wes.isley@gmail.com
Greensboro, North Carolina
Serving the Piedmont Triad area including Winston-Salem, High Point, and Burlington